Brunei’s second-largest daily newspaper shuts down abruptly

bt-close

Rozanna Latiff

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN

BRUNEI’s second-largest daily newspaper, The Brunei Times, published its final edition on Monday, after abruptly announcing plans for closure over the weekend, triggering online speculation about the reason.

The daily, which was launched in 2006, announced on its Sunday front page that it would cease publication the next day.

On Monday, it said in a longer notice that the closure was due to “business issues, reporting and journalistic standards that should meet the mark set, and also issues relating to business sustainability…”

The daily did not address posts on social media that it had been ordered to shut down for publishing an article on Oct. 26 about changes in visa fees imposed by the Saudi Arabian government for Brunei haj pilgrims.

The daily carried an apology for the article on its website on Friday.

A spokesman for The Brunei Times declined to comment on the posts and instead referred Reuters to Monday’s front page statement. He said the newspaper had 110 people on its staff.

The Prime Minister’s Department did not respond to an emailed request for comment.

“The Brunei Times… no longer has sustainable resources to continue its media and publication operations and the company’s Board of Directors has agreed that the best course of action is to close down the paper,” the paper’s notice said.

REUTERS

Monday, 7 November 2016

 

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-brunei-media-idUSKBN1320YF?il=0

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2016/11/07/brunei-times-ceases-publication-citing-business-issues.html

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/news/1128677/brunei-times-closes-130-jobs-to-go

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

The Jakarta Post’s Religious Blasphemy Case Terminated: Press Council

jp ms cartoon
RMN/Mut
JAKARTA

THE Inspection of the Chief Editor of The Jakarta Post Meidyatama Suryodiningrat (MS) as suspect in the alleged blasphemy, was delayed by Jakarta Police investigators. According to the results of mediation in the Press Council, the case was agreed discontinued.

“There is already an agreement to stop the case here, there is no continued, and in order to coordinate with related parties closer together,” Press Council member Joseph Stanley Adi Prasetyo confirmed to Liputan6.com, Monday (12/15/2014).

Prominent legal observer and writer explained, according to the rules and regulations in force, the legal case of the news in the form of cartoons was final in the Press Council. “We view the entire rule, procedure, this case does not continue anymore because it was final in the Press Council,” said Stanley.

Yosep Stanley Adi Prasetyo. Photo: www.hidupkatolik.com

Yosep Stanley Adi Prasetyo. Photo: http://www.hidupkatolik.com

Former Vice Chairman of the National Human Rights Commission (Komnas-HAM) for 2007-2012 confirmed, the same case cannot be sued repeatedly by others. “There could be other plaintiffs but the same material, so in the applicable law in idem. If the case is already in the law it cannot be complained again, the case cannot be complained again,” he explained.

According to Stanley, the police and the Post has coordinated with the Press Council which took place on Friday and Saturday. As a follow up to the meeting, the Press Council this morning has sent a letter to the Chiefs of the National Police and the Jakarta Police.

“We’ve asked the police not to pursue the case,” he said.

Stanley added, the case of the Post should have been completed in the Press Council, due to ethical concerns. The Press Council and the Police Headquarters has signed an agreement since 2011 that the cases handled by the Press Council does not have to proceed to the police.

“This case has a MoU with the police,” said Stanley.

On July 8, 2014, The Jakarta Post has apologized related news which is considered as blasphemy in the cartoon that was published. The Jakarta Post also regretted the news in the form of cartoons.

Meidyatama Suryodiningrat

Meidyatama Suryodiningrat

In this case, Medyatama Suryodiningrat charged under Article 156a of the Criminal Code of Blasphemy. Referring to the article, threatened Medyatama 5 years in prison.

Medyatama Suryodiningrat very surprised upon hearing himself named as suspects in this case. Therefore, it was not committing a crime, but only doing journalistic work that criticize ISIS movement. In fact, it had apologized to the public related to the news.

Liputan6.com
Monday, 15 December 2014

jp carto

ged dewan pers

http://news.liputan6.com/read/2147612/dewan-pers-kasus-jakarta-post-dihentikan