Saudi news report on Bruneian with terror links untrue

A NEWS report about a Bruneian man arrested in Saudi Arabia over alleged terror links is not true, said the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).

The National Security Committee said yesterday that Jeddah-based newspaper Saudi Gazette has admitted to the error in its reporting and published a correction on its website on September 20.

In its editor’s note appended to an article titled “53 terror suspects arrested during Haj”, the Saudi Gazette said it had erroneously reported that one of the suspects was a Brunei national.

Saudi Gazette’s e-paper reported on September 18 that an unidentified Bruneian man was recently apprehended by security forces in Riyadh on suspicion of terrorism, claiming that a growing number of expatriates living in Saudi were falling prey to ISIS propaganda.

However, subsequent investigations by the governments of Brunei and Saudi confirmed that no Brunei citizen was arrested.

The statement issued by PMO added that the National Security Committee, together with other security agencies in the country, will continuously monitor any activities that pose a threat to national security. Brunei citizens and residents were also reminded to abide by the law and warned against taking part in any terrorist or criminal activities in the country or abroad.

The Brunei Times

Thu, 22 September 2016

 

bru-jame-asr

http://bt.com.bn/news-national/2016/09/22/saudi-news-report-bruneian-terror-links-untrue

 

 

 

Advertisements

Indonesia gov’t allowed access to terror suspect in Brunei custody

bru penjaraQuratul-Ain Bandial and Sally Piri
BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN

THE Indonesian embassy said that the Brunei government has finally granted them access to a Jemaah Islamiyah (JI)-linked terror suspect who has been in detention for two months.

Indonesian national Daniel @ Awaluddin Sitorus, also known by the alias ‘Ustaz Yasin’, is detained under the Internal Security Act on February 21 for allegedly assisting JI members to seek safe haven in Brunei.

“We have the obligation that we should take care of all Indonesian citizens, including Ustaz Yasin… That’s our basic duty to know that an Indonesian citizen is well treated,” said Pribadi Sutiono, deputy chief of mission at the embassy.

Pribadi Sutiono

Pribadi Sutiono

He added that Ustaz Yasin – who lived in Brunei for five years – has an ex-wife and five children still living in the Sultanate, who are now without a sponsor. After his divorce from his Indonesian wife, the suspect then remarried a Bruneian national.

The deputy chief of mission declined to speak on whether the Brunei government had indicated how long it would detain Ustaz Yasin, or whether charges would be brought against him.

Under the Internal Security Act, a suspect can be detained for up to two years without charge to “prevent that person from acting in any manner prejudicial to the security of Brunei Darussalam”. The period of detention can be renewed by the Minister of Home Affairs.

The Internal Security Department claims Ustaz Yasin had been in contact with the leader of Mujahidin Indonesia and facilitated the entry of a “suspicious individual” into Brunei in early 2013.

Yasin also underwent military training in Afghanistan in the early 90s and was detained by Indonesian authorities in 2000 for suspected involvement in a church bombing in Medan. However, he was subsquently released due to lack of evidence.

Since Ustaz Yasin’s arrest, there has been no discussion between Brunei and Indonesia on the potential security threat posed by the movement of terror suspects between the two countries, said Pribadi.

“Between the embassy or our foreign ministry (and Brunei) we have not had that discission.”

“There is an ASEAN mechanism on that, not only through the bilateral means but also through the ASEAN community… ASEAN has a convention on anti-terrorism, money laundering, etc, so they talk under that kind of framework,” he said.

Asked whether Indonesian intelligence agencies share information with its foreign ministry on the movement of terror suspects to foreign countries, Pribadi said it was unlikely.

The Brunei Times
Friday, May 2, 2014

http://www.bt.com.bn/frontpage-news-national/2014/05/02/indonesia-gov%E2%80%99t-allowed-access-terror-suspect-brunei-custody